Monday 13 May 2013

Secret sewing revealed


So, the other weekend whilst I was sitting at the Sewing Directory meet up, I received an email from Lynne, asking if I was sit interested in writing up a tutorial for Abakhan on a Budget.  I knew as soon as I had seen her post and the theme was 'garden' what I wanted to make:

And here it is, all made up.  I am so pleased with it! The tutorial is over at Lynnes' with loads of photos to help you on your way.

I originally had a slightly different design in my head.  I spent a lot of last weekend doing a pro-type and finally came up with this pattern. 

I set the garden table up in the kitchen and started working on all sorts of ideas


The prototype ended up being made from fat quarters.  Its been raining here pretty much all day and I forgot to get a photo of this one on the table outside before the rain, so here it is on my kitchen table.  The pattern is very versatile: it can be made from fat quarters (maybe scraps?) or yardage and you could use four fabrics for the pieced diamonds instead of just the two
I didn't get a picture of the mock up on the garden table, due to the rain, so here it is on my kitchen table.  I put the background fabric on differently in this one, and it didn't work as well as the blue one, it was a lot more fiddly.  But hey, that's why I did a practise first!


I hope you like it - they really are very quick and easy to make, and easy to adjust the size too.  If you have any questions then please let me know.
Otherwise, all we need now is some sunshine - which definitely isn't forecast for the next few days!!

13 comments:

  1. Brilliant I have some garden furniture due to arrive on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great. Fab idea and congrats on being selected for the Abakhan on a Budget :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really clever. You have really come up with a good idea. Congrats on being selected for the 'Budget' challenge. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea! Yes all we need now is the sunshine!! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks lovely. Aren't you clever, getting that centre hole and all!

    Roll on sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fab! Let's hope the sun soon returns!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tute over at Lynne's. I can see all sorts of version of these popping up this summer. Given the lack of sunshine, I think I should make mine a Christmas one for indoors! Hope you get loads of sunshine to use yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw your tute - clever you, it's great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant idea and such a good block design for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tutorial! Whee did you get the lemon fabric?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message